Quick Find

Latest Business News

 0870 Numbers
 Budget News and Updates
 Child Benefit
 Company Cars
 Company Law
 Construction Industry
 Employment Law & Payroll
 Fraud and Theft
 Health & Safety
 Important Dates
 Maternity & Paternity Matters
 News for Landlords
 Practice News
 Sage Software
 Student Loans
 Tax Credits
 Tax Rates
 Other Business News
 Making Tax Digital (MTD)

Search News

 By Keywords
 By Publish Date


Latest News



HMRC has published outline guidance on the changes to the regulations on money laundering and terrorist financing, which have been extended to cover lettings agents and art dealers from mid-January, with more detailed information set to follow


HMRC has issued step by step guidance on what to do when someone dies.  To view the guidance click here.


HMRC has issued step by step guidance on setting up a new limited company.  To view the guidance click here.


The Fourth EU Money Laundering Directive (4MLD) was the reason for HMRC introducing the Trust Registration Service which broadly requires all trusts with tax liabilities to register with HMRC.

The new Directive will bring into its scope all UK express trusts not just those with UK tax implications and also non-EU resident trusts which own UK land or property or which have a “business relationship” with an entity in the UK such as solicitors, accountant or bank.

The term ‘express trust’ means a trust that was expressly/deliberately created by a settlor as opposed to being set up through a court order. The onus will be on the trustees and their agents to determine whether the trust is an express trust or not. The government has issued examples of the categories of UK trusts likely to have to register to include discretionary trusts, interest in possession trusts, many types of bare trusts, charitable trusts and employee ownership trusts.

Public access will also be available to the trust register to anyone who has a legitimate interest. There is no de minimis thresholds or exemptions provided.

For unregistered trusts already in existence on 10 March 2020 the proposed by government deadline for registration is 31 March 2021. For trusts created on or after 1 April 2020 the government is proposing that they trust should be registered within 30 days of its creation and this 30 day deadline is also to be used for any amendments to be made to the TRS data once the availability to do so is there.

The practical difficulty for agents will be in helping their clients identify the trusts they are involved in that the trustees will have to register for the first time. For example life policies written in trust, trusts owning a single property where the beneficiary lives, etc. Many clients will not have advised their agent of their interest in such trusts if no tax liabilities have previously arisen.

More detailed guidance can be found here.


The government has announced that next year’s Early May Bank Holiday is  to move from its usual position of the first Monday in May to Friday 8th May in commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of VE Day.


If you buy from or sell goods to the EU you need to apply for an EORI number as a matter of urgency.  To apply click here.  The application process takes approximately 10 minutes.  For more guidance from the government on an EU exit click here.


HMRC have published their latest letter to UK businesses that trade only with the EU, with details of important actions they need to take and changes to be aware of in the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal. It is their third letter to businesses on preparing for the UK leaving the EU.

The letter asks businesses to take a number of actions to prepare for no deal. These include:

  • registering for a EORI number at Get a UK EORI number to trade within the EU
  • deciding if they want to hire an agent to make import and/or export declarations for them or if they want to make declarations themselves using relevant software
  • registering for Transitional Simplified Procedures (TSP), which is a new process to make importing easier than it otherwise would be for the initial period after the UK leaves the EU, should there be no deal – registration opens from 7 February on GOV.UK.

There are also important updates on the way businesses trading with the EU pay import VAT and use EU VAT IT systems if the UK leave with no deal. You can read the full letter at Letters on 'no deal' Brexit advice for businesses only trading with the EU.

These changes do not apply to trade across the Northern Ireland-Ireland land border. HMRC will set out information about the arrangements for trading with Ireland as soon as they can.

New guidance

HMRC have also published new guides on GOV‌.UK on:

The guides provide further information explaining what these changes mean for UK businesses that trade with the EU. You can find the guides at Trading with the EU if the UK leaves without a deal.

New ‘Prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU’ tool

HMRC have also published a ‘Prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU’ tool to help UK businesses find out:

  • what they need to do to prepare for the UK leaving the EU
  • what’s changing in their industry
  • information on specific rules and regulations.
All businesses need to do is answer 7 simple questions to get guidance relevant to them and their sector. You can access the tool at Prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU


If you or your children are considering opening a "help to buy ISA" then you should be aware that the deadline to open an account is 30 November 2018.

For more information click here.


Since 1 February 2016 landlords have had a responsibility in the UK to verify the "right to rent" for both tenants and lodgers. There is good guidance at Shelter's Website - click here
At the HMRC website where the documents required and a Home office Check are available - click here


GDPR comes into force on 25 May 2018.  For more information and to see how the regulations affect you click here

News updates!

Keep updated and be informed on a selection of news articles affecting your business.

Tax Rates & Allowances

Find all the key tax rates and allowances in one convenient place.

About us

Learn more about our company and the key people who make us tick.